The European Fact-Checking Standards Network presents its Code of Standards and Governance Body in Brussels on November 16
The European Fact-Checking Standards Network (EFCSN) will hold a public conference on November 16 in Brussels to present its work and vision for how to support effective, independent and ethical fact-checking in Europe. The event will be open to the public and gather the main European stakeholders in the field of misinformation from EU institutions, digital media platforms and civil society.
During the half-day event at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel, the EFCSN will present its European Code of Standards for Independent Fact-Checking Organisations and the newly elected Governance Body who will be running the umbrella organisation. Members of the EFCSN’s Governance Body will also participate in discussions about the role of fact-checkers in shaping public policy and countering misinformation on online platforms.
Where is the event?
Renaissance Brussels Hotel, Rue du Parnasse 19, 1050 Brussels
Ground floor – Ballroom I
November 16th, 2022 / 12:00 – 17:00 local time
Please note: The conference is open to registered participants only. Visitors are kindly asked to fill out the Registration Form.
Here you can find the timetable of the conference:
12:00 – 1:00 pm – Arrivals and Networking Lunch
1:00 – 1:15 pm – Introductory Remarks: EFCSN and its mission
- Clara Jiménez Cruz, Chair of the EFCSN Governance Body and CEO of Maldita.es (Spain)
1:15 – 1:45 pm – The standards of the European Code of Standards for independent Fact-checking organisations
- Sally Mairs, Europe editor at AFP Fact Check and member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Q&A from the audience
1:45-2:30 pm – The role of fact-checkers in shaping public policy in Europe
- Eva Maydell MEP (PPE, Bulgaria)
- Krisztina Stump, DG CNECT, European Commission
- Vincent Couronne (Les Surligneurs- France), Treasurer of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Gülin Çavuş (Teyit – Turkey), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- David Schraven (CORRECTIV – Germany), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Moderated by Tommaso Canetta (Pagella Politica- Italy), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
2:30 – 3:00 pm – Coffee break
3:00 – 4:00 pm – European Fact-checkers and digital platforms: can we work together?
- Sophie Eyears, Strategic partner manager for news integrity Europe Meta, Meta
- Clement Wolf, Global Public Policy Senior Manager – Information Integrity, Google
- Ana Brakus (Faktograf- Croatia), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Stefan Voss (DPA- Germany), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Thomas Hedin (TjekDet- Denmark), member of the EFCSN Governance Body
- Moderated by Carlos Hernández-Echevarría (Maldita.es-Spain)
4:00 – 4:30 pm – Keynote speech
- Jaume Duch, Director-General for Communication, European Parliament
- Q&A moderated by Clara Jiménez Cruz, Chair of the EFCSN Governance Body and CEO of Maldita.es
4:30 – 5:00 pm – Closing Remarks
- Clara Jiménez Cruz, Chair of the EFCSN Governance Body and CEO of Maldita.es
5:00 pm – Reception
This project is part of the Call of Integrity of Social Media by the European Commission and is led by six European organisations focused on fighting misinformation: Fundación Maldita.es (Spain), AFP (France), CORRECTIV (Germany), DEMAGOG (Poland), Pagella Politica/ Facta (Italy) and EU DisinfoLab (Belgium).
Read more about the EFCSN on our website. Follow the EFCSN’s Twitter and LinkedIn for regular updates on this project.